Cranberry Three Meat Pie
Cooking 50 minutes
Preparation 30 minutes
- 2 packages (14 g) dried mushrooms of your choice (g. boletes, shiitakes, forest mix), chopped
- 200 ml (13 tbsp) boiling water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) Oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 large cloves of chopped garlic
- 500 g (1 lb) a mixture of ground beef, veal and pork *
- 2/3 bag (245 g) of Champêtre cubed potatoes
- 20 ml (4 tsp) fresh thyme
- 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 ml) old-fashioned mustard
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) dried cranberries
- To taste, salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Milk, quantity required
- 2 ½ cups (625 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 large pinch of salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) cold salted butter, cut into cubes
- 105 to 120 ml (7 to 8 tbsp.) Ice water
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (350 ° F).
- In a bowl, place the mushrooms and boiling water. Let stand at least 20 minutes.
- To make the dough, place the flour, salt, and butter in the food processor. Pulse just enough so that the butter is reduced to small pieces (about the size of a pea). Gradually add the water, gently pulsating until the dough is just formed. Using your hands, form a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the minced meat and cook 5 to 7 minutes. Pour the mushrooms with their water, the potatoes with their liquid, thyme, mustard, and cranberries. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove the mixture from the heat and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and reserve 60 ml (1/4 cup) for decoration (optional). Separate the rest of the dough in half and on a floured work surface, roll two rolls. Covering the bottom of your pie plate with a first layer, then spread the mixture of cooled meats evenly. Place the second roll on top, then close the edges with a fork. With the rest of the dough, decorate the pâté (eg leaves, braids, Christmas trees). Make a few incisions on the top of the pâté, then brush with a mixture of egg and milk.
- Cook 50 minutes or until the pâté is golden brown.
* The mixture of three types of meat can be substituted by the same amount of another minced meat (horse, bison, deer).
Recipe developed in partnership with nutritionist Julie DesGroseillers